Preface

The English Language is bespeckled with such a delicious array of words and phrases. Speaking this global business language as a first language, I thought I knew enough English vocabulary to survive most books and conversations. But after a mere few days at my first real job, I felt like a foreigner, unable to understand many of the phrases other co-workers were using. What are these things called "idioms"? Did they just spring up within the past year? Why I wasn't taught these growing up?

This a blog to capture my frustration with the language I thought I knew so well, to aide those who also lack an understanding of idioms, and to perhaps provide a bit of entertainment on the side.

Enjoy.


Sunday, November 11, 2007

Nickel Tour

The auditor asked for a "nickel tour" of the place. Context clues told me, if it was a two-day audit, he probably wanted a quick tour of the floor.

Turns out, I was right.



I'd probably be bad at dealing with auditors if they use idioms. "I'm sorry, what does that mean? I swear I speak English as a first language... I'm just sheltered..."

My dictionary doesn't have this one either...

If someone gives you a nickel tour, they show you around a place. ('Fifty-cent tour' is also used.)

- http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/nickel+tour.html



Nickel Tour
My Score Card for this idiom:
Able to be understood initially?: yes
Able to be understood once explained?: yes




Fifty cent tour... haha. It's impossible for me to say that without turning it into "fiddy cen". Oh, pop culture! How influential you are.

Yours truly,
A sheltered American

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Use with caution. I told a co-worker she had lovely body art and I'd like her to give me the nickel tour someday to explain them to me.

Another co-worker complained to the boss that I was offering women money to show me their bodies!

True story. I'm going Diversity Class to learn not to be so sexist when I talk to people, they're not going to Idiom class to learn their own language.

Anonymous said...

Dude. You weren't sent to diversity class because of an idiom. It was because you asked a female coworker to show you her body. Inquiring as to what's hidden beneath business attire is a big no-no. Even if all her ink was visible, the phrase somewhat implies 'that which you cannot see.' In the future, you'd be better off with something like "I'd love to hear the story behind those." It's a lot less Americana, but it's a lot safer, too. Just my two cents (get it? I made a funny).

Anonymous said...

Is that you Roy Moore?