Preface

The English Language is bespeckled with such a delicious array of words and phrases. Speaking this global business language as a first language, I thought I knew enough English vocabulary to survive most books and conversations. But after a mere few days at my first real job, I felt like a foreigner, unable to understand many of the phrases other co-workers were using. What are these things called "idioms"? Did they just spring up within the past year? Why I wasn't taught these growing up?

This a blog to capture my frustration with the language I thought I knew so well, to aide those who also lack an understanding of idioms, and to perhaps provide a bit of entertainment on the side.

Enjoy.


Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The fish rots from the head first

A woman was approaching an issue at work with our boss. She was demanding support from her managment for herself, for the technicians, and for the validity of their test methods. She was visibly upset. "Ya know, the fish rots from the head first...."

WOAH. An awkward giggle game from one of my co-workers. Everyone else hushed. Are you supposed to tell your boss that?

(what does that even mean?)

It's not in my fabulous dictionary! So I go online. This phrase is used in business and politics a lot. It's not succinctly defined. So let me take you through the thought...

The head = management / head(s) of government
How management/government acts reflects upon those they manage/govern.
Usually this term is used with a negative connotation (so it seems)
So if management/government is corrupt/not doing an ideal job, it will reflect poorly on the rest of the company.

Thus, a business will crumble from the top down, the head first.


Apparently there's a book about it



See what Wickipeida has to say about the phrase: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Leader



The Fish Rots from the Head (First)
My Score Card for this idiom:
Able to be understood initially?: yes
Able to be understood once explained?: yes




See? I'm catchin' on,
An ever-improving American

No comments: